I have to share a few experiences I had this past week that made me realize what the true meaning if Christmas is all about. We all know that Christmas is the celebration of the birth of the Savior and as we celebrate we remember Him and renew our commitment to follow in His footsteps. Often times we get caught up in the "worldly" Christmas and lose track of what we ought to be doing. Don't get me wrong, I am all about Santa, cookies, carols and yummy food. I think those are all good and fun things as long as the true meaning outweighs the commercial. I was reminded of this several times this past week by some surprising people.
As some of you know, one of my church callings is working in the 'Activity Days' program. I work with girls ages 8-11. This past week, we did a scavenger hunt as our activity. We went door to door in our neighborhood collecting items for the local food bank. We had contacted the food bank before hand and asked for the most needed items. Each item was given points, the highest points for the highest items in need. As an incentive we told the girls that if collectively they gathered 500 points, we would have a pizza party in January. We divided in teams and went on our way. On our way home, I saw one of the girls going back to her home. When we got back to my house I asked her why she had went back to her house. I thought surely she was hitting her family up for stuff to get more points for the pizza party. But I was wrong, she answered that on the way back to my house, she remembered she had a coat that no longer fit and wanted to give that to people in need. I needed to repent. This young girl taught this old girl a very valuable lesson in truly being selfless and remembering others people needs in front of their own.
Monday night we wrote our letters to Santa as an activity for FHE. Joe mostly helped because I was getting stuff ready for our gingerbread house that was our next activity for the night. I was in the kitchen when Londyn came to show me her letter. Joe yelled from the office that he had wrote her letter word for word as it came out of Londyn's mouth. With this, I braced myself and read her letter. Here is Londyn's letter word for word:
Merry Christmas Santa, my name is Londyn and I think I deserve my presents this year. I would really like a beautiful princess Barbie, a beautiful book about princesses. I would also like a puppy (a real one, like a pug if you could). I would also like a beautiful butterfly and a fairy ( a pretend one, maybe a Barbie one). I would like you to give the homeless kids what they want too. I love you and the reindeer's. I am soooo excited for Christmas, is it tomorrow?
Thank you. Love, Londyn
OK, melt my heart! Through the mouth of babes I learned a lot this week. I am so grateful for life learning experiences like these and for the opportunity Christmas gives us to refresh our memory of what Christmas is truly suppose to be about.
Tuesday, December 9, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
That is the sweetest Santa letter I have ever read. Londyn is really growing up to be a great girl. That is not hard to believe with guys as her great parents.
That is really sweet! I need a lil' girly like that. I bet you LOVE your calling! I think that a calling with the youth would be so much fun!
That makes me teary. I am so glad you wrote this. You guys are a cute little family and I miss those activity day girls and our old ward a lot :(
Great post! Londyn is a great little girl. I will say though, I'm glad I won't have to be buying all that Barbie stuff (just yet anyways) since we're having a little boy. It's been a great reflective year for me too, especially the symbolism that surrounds Christmas. It's magnificent!
Great post! Thanks for sharing. I'm glad your helping out Santa with Londyn's wish list ... what homeless kid wouldn't like something good to eat at Christmas? What a great activity and a good learning experience!
It amazeses me how indightful kids are sometimes. What great reminders during this Christmas season!
That was so sweet. How funny, we really need to get together soon!
Thanks for sharing this post. Both those stories were really sweet. Sometimes I wish we could just cut out most of the presents and focus on helping others and spending time with each other. It would make it easier not to get caught up in all the stress and craziness.
kids are amazing. Those are great reminders of what is really truly important!
thanks for sharing. it's always good to have a few reminders. :)i LOVE the letter Londyn dictated. it shows that she has a beautiful heart. on top of that it's kind of hard to ignore there are a few learned things in her petitions...very polite, thoughtful and kind little girl. some of which i'm sure she came with, but some of which i'm sure was learned too. :)
Post a Comment